Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 19. June 19, 2011-Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, CA


Dearest Readers,

This is the jolly John Cessano of McFadden Vinyard in Hopland, pouring me a taste of their Pinot Noir. I traveled through California wine country north of Santa Rosa today, and stopped here at 11:00 am for a coffee nearby, and tastes of McFadden’s Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigiot, Coro Mendocino, and a Reisling. The Reisling was probably good, but I’m not a fan of its fruity sweetish flavor. I splurged on a few bottles. John had a hard time finding an empty spot in my car, but we eventually managed.




Etta and I are happily camped tonight at the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. These trees are silent sentinels of a time before humans inhabited these parts. They smile at my small lifespan on the earth. Their strength and majesty are humbling.



This is Daphne, my campsite neighbor, standing among the redwoods in the park.




I revel in this north Pacific coastal climate. Driving up from Santa Rosa, I feel alive, happy and energized. My head is clear, my heat sensitivity gone. Etta too is playing with the surf around Patrick’s Point north of Eureka, tossing and catching pine cones in the air at camp.






The mountains along the road have changed to mostly conifers. The forests are dense, mossy and a little bit spooky. Bears are here I’m told. The air is dry and clean. Ahhhhh.

2 comments:

  1. How joyful you are in your magnificent surroundings! How fascinating it is following you on your JOURNEY! Seeing you revel in the present and be so impacted by your environment. How adorable is your canine companion! How wonderful it is to meet new people along the way. Lions, tigers, and bears--oh my! Big big hugs, Hallelujah Truth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cecelia for taking me on this journey with you. I feel blessed. You are a mighty soul.

    ReplyDelete