Wednesday, August 29, 2012

DAY 17 – THE MARBLE WALL IS RISING

 Work. Keep digging your well.
Don’t think about getting off from work.
Water is there somewhere.
    -Jelaluddin Rumi, (1207-1273), “The Sunrise Ruby”  
DAY 17, Wednesday: High 60’s. Solid blue sky. Dry. Breezy.
Choosing shards, and lining the hole
 Dearest readers,
Lining this earthwork project with marble shards is like knitting a very heavy scarf. It’s a peaceful, repetitive process that keeps on growing. I lay out a ring of marble possibilities around the rim, jump into the hole (carefully), then go round and round trying different pieces to find the best fit. Sometimes I hammer and chisel the shards to fit into a particular spot. When I dug the hole, I made it taper from 42" in diameter at the top down to 32" diameter. It gives a greater illusion of depth, and allows the shards to lean back slightly against the dirt walls as the un-mortared stack climbs upward.
Stacking pattern closeup
Getting out of the hole is a challenge, but my arms are getting stronger, and I can hoist myself back up if I gingerly find one secure toehold on the stacks of marble. As the wall rises, I’m not so bent over. My back is thankful for that!
32"-39" high
I've completed over 2/3rds of the lining. The height around the cylinder is now between 32” and 39”! (I still need to dig out all the silt from the small diameter hole below the piece of wood...another day.)
I'll close with two heart-hole drawings. One is like the heart continents of Pangea hovering over a hole. The other shows a double heart with holes through the aorta, veins and arteries.
9" x 12", Charcoal and conte on paper
9" x 12", Charcoal and pastel on paper
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment