Wednesday, October 1, 2014

PERFORMANCE AND ENDURANCE–The Thinking Place Progresses

The Thinking Place slowly rises. Etta James stands guard, October 1, 2014


Dearest Readers,
A status update:
My Thinking Place rises slowly in the Vermont field.  It’s messy at this point. I’m stacking and interweaving the sticks without trimming, for now. I may need a protruding branch to support a limb, or enhance a shape that may present itself as the hut materializes.

I work on it for 30 minutes about three days a week, alternating with long hilly walks to the post office in downtown Peacham two or three days a week. Sunday is my self-appointed day of rest. Building the hut is a slow process. I get pretty tired, but my method suits my propensity to make art in small daily doses. It’s like counting on big living rosary beads. Little Etta James is off the leash and ever patient. She never asks, "What the heck are you doing?" 

Cecelia adds big branches–September 18, 2014
Cecelia brings more sticks–September 22, 2014
Cecelia tries out an entrance arch-foggy morning-September 24, 2014
More updates in a couple weeks... I'll be away for a while visiting my daughter and grandson in Brooklyn for his 6th birthday.

Soaring Stick–charcoal on paper–18"x24"–2014

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes Cecelia! I am big fan of incrementality! What a beautiful place to build a thinking place. How wise to build it at the speed of the body!

    ReplyDelete