Tuesday, September 16, 2014

THE THINKING PLACE

First ring of interwoven medium-sized sticks forms the base of the hut.


Dearest Readers,
I’ve begun to build a stick hut in the field that I call The Thinking Place. I’m winging it now, but so far the construction is giving me great aesthetic pleasure. I scrapped the idea of digging a deep hole in the center, and that decision is a relief.  A chair will sit in the center where the hole would have been. In the slow five-week process of removing, sorting and categorizing each branch from the original messy pile-up, I was dreading the day when I would presumably need to start digging the hole. This realization was not apparent to me at first, only a nagging unhappiness slowed down my progress.

So, with that load off my mind and back, I look forward daily to what will be created.
Here’s the latest sequential photo gallery.

Etta discovers the woodchuck hole beneath the last layer of small sticks



I rake away the final layer of sticks



Etta dives into the woodchuck hole-nobody home



Cleared base for the hut. Piles of sorted sticks in the background.



Measuring the hut's base circumference and positioning stone markers



Ready to build The Thinking Place




No comments:

Post a Comment