Saturday, February 11, 2012

DEAR HEART


Dearest Readers,
I missed Valentine’s Day for this post, but it's never too late to honor a day devoted to matters of the heart–a symbol that keeps erupting in my artwork. Let’s hear it for love, courage, life, sympathy, compassion, sincerity, strength, hearty, heartfelt, and even heartsick–all straight from the heart.



I’m staying away these days from the Catholic Sacred Heart–symbol of suffering, self-sacrifice, and sadness. Let me not knock on that door today. It resides within, but buried deep inside.


Last week I finished an oil stick self-portrait on paper entitled Loved. It’s me as a heart loved by my family and friends.



This portrait began in 2010 as a photo I shot in my bathroom mirror entitled Day #80, from 89 days of examining my feeling of the moment, and writing it in lipstick on my forehead. Another way of asking...Who Am I?





Later I printed the mirrored-mirror image of my reflected face on one of my vintage hankies that I wore as a kid in the little breast pocket of my Catholic school uniform jumper.

Dear heart, I’ve depicted you in drawings and paintings, embroideries, clothing, dolls, wings and portraits. Thank you for persistently beating.


Heartfelt, ©2008
6 1/2” x 6 1/2”
Embroidery floss on vintage linen



Heart Sick, ©2010
7 1/4” x 7 1/4”
Embroidery floss on vintage linen


The Bravery Jacket, ©2007
Life sized
Acrylic on wool twill, aluminum buttons, braiding, yarn, gauze, nails and threads.


A Joyful Heart, ©2003
8" x 13" x 3"
Fabric, acrylic, found objects and polymer clay


Interwoven Hearts, ©2011
18 1/2 " x 22 1/4"
Charcoal and pastel on paper


Pangea Heart Holes, ©2011
11" x 14"
Charcoal, pastel and conté on paper



See Little Cece's heartbeat at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCg4GBG-bw4&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment