Thursday, August 23, 2012

DAY 11-CHOPPING, SAWING, NOTCHING, LASHING THE LADDER

"Be a lamp, a lifeboat, or a ladder.
Help someone's soul heal.
Walk out of your house like a shepherd."
             -Jelaluddin Rumi (1207-1273)

6 rungs done-6 more to go
 
DAY 11, Thursday: High 70’s. Slightly hazy. Comfortable temperature, but blazing sun.
 Dearest readers,
The ladder is half done! 

Behold one of my red, blistered, stiff-knuckled hands after a day of chopping saplings, sawing rungs, chiseling notches, and lashing my primitive 14 foot ladder–boyscout style.
I’ve got the hang of it now, and a rhythm as I wrap. My style is tight, and as aesthetically crisp as possible.

Unfortunately the twine is rough and cutting. The big worker gloves are too clumsy to wear as I interweave the sisal, while keeping the ends super taut. Tomorrow I’m going to wrap my fingers in adhesive tape. Six more rungs to go!
Meet some of the marble carvers on site, grinding and polishing away. The noise is a symphony of dental-ish drilling. The marble dust rises in clouds. 
Casey Wright carving her giant marble coral
Iva Fabrikant chiseling her crouching figure in progress
Lianides-Polish sculptor in residence carving into a marble megalith
Louis Lalli polishing his Orca sculpture
Rick Rothrock and his marble Unity sculpture in progress
 I’ll close with one multi-hole and tunnel drawing with ladder.
Acrylic, pastel and india ink on paper-11" x 14"


No comments:

Post a Comment