Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 6. June 6, 2011-Austin, TX


Dearest Readers,
103 degrees here when I pulled into town. I’m in Austin Texas, home of former Atlanta friends Kevin Babb and Chris Garlington. No Hand to Hand artists here, but nice to visit with an old (young) Georgia-Pacific co-worker, now working for The American Cancer Society.


I did a load of laundry and took a relaxing eucalyptus bath. I am learning to appreciate simple pleasures and technological inventions like AC, washers/dryers/Wi-Fi and ice- makers. Thanks Kevin and Chris for your hospitality, food and good coffee! Etta and their dog Sampson, growled a bit at each other and then they settled down, allowing us to go out for Tex-Mex at Maudie’s, and do a walking tour of Congress Street, past the people gathering on a bridge to see the big famous colony of bats swarm at dusk. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvylLSn5WWM&feature=player_embedded
We strolled by weirdly wonderful crafty-trendy shops and local wares. South Congress street or So-Co as it is called, was a former prostitute area, now turned into a college and artistic scene. The slogan here is “Keep Austin Weird”.

The trip today was mostly flat and monotonous with roadside bayous in western Louisiana that gradually changed to the hot rocky soil of central TX with its scruffy trees, dry grasses and intense overarching sky. At lunchtime I tried to find Memorial Park in Houston, got lost, made a U-turn and ate my food under an overpass on i-10 West. This picture is missing the load roar of the traffic and clatters of wheels on segments of bridge pavement above. I’ve been living on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, fruit and convenience store coffee– mostly bad tasting, but it clears up my caffeine headache. Once I saw a sign for Starbucks indicating 2 miles left off the nearest highway exit. I went down that direction until the road dead-ended into a factory of some sort. I turned around, and drove 4 miles past the highway exit in the opposite direction without any luck. I’m addicted, what can I say!

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Cecelia! I am following your journey and chuckle and ooohhh and ahhhh over your encounters with friends and artists. I think you are brave and I find your odyssey refreshing and lively. Yes, I would have loved to be on this venture with you! GOOD COFFEE being a very small but important plus. Love you in Decatur!

    I have finished the preliminary designs for the Misadventures of Maria Hutia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin - Home Sweet Home for me. My daughter, Olivia, is there now with her grandmother. Wow, 103 already? We have been getting unseasonable hot weather here in Atlanta too.

    what an adventure - I read your every post and am enjoying your trip vicariously. You are brave to travel alone - standing strong in the face of your own "boogie men". Not sure I could do it - I admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has the time warp thing happened yet? That it feels like weeks ago, vs days, that you acquired that butt burner sauce!?!
    I always found the open flat road gets beautiful once AZ and NM are in the windshield and rear view mirror...when the road is a ribbon in front and behind you and clouds surround you by 360 degrees...magnificant...always shifts my consciousness to a sense of feeling we are indeed on a planet! Don't always sense that in Whole Foods parking lot!
    So happy for you taking this journey!
    Okay, Thelma and Louise coming up and Starbucks on the right!

    ReplyDelete